REFCO stands for “Royal Engineering Fabrication Company” operating under the trading name of
REFCO Metals LLC, a Dubai-based aluminium parts manufacturing subsidiary wholly owned by Al Ghurair Group, based in the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
REFCO originated from the acquisition of British company Sport Carrier Limited (founded in 1997), formerly a UK-based aluminium alloy extrusion fabrication and surface treatment specialist, supplying the automotive trade.
REFCO’s manufacturing facility of 140,000 Sq ft floor space is situated in Jebel Ali (Dubai) and is the first of its kind in the UAE.
Here, the company processes automotive grade aluminium alloy extrusion using various production processes and techniques, including:-
- Quality checking incoming extrusion to ensure material is correct in size and specification.
- Sawing parts accurately to size.
- Pressing of features (machines wielding up to 160 tons of pressure).
- CNC machining (various size 3 axis, 5 axis milling machines and milling robot technology).
- Bespoke operations e.g. swaging machines to open out areas of extrusion ends.
- Metal forming and compression bending aluminium extruded profiles to match the curvature required.
- Heat Treatment to harden the aluminium parts to specification when required.
- Finishing and Surface Treatment Management: Co-ordinating and controlling finishing requirements e.g. anodising or powder coating.
- Sub-assembly in-house of any bracketry or fixings e.g. rivnuts.
- Final view by REFCO's dedicated team to ensure quality requirements are met with each shipment
With strategically placed global warehousing and logistics facilities, REFCO is well positioned to supply efficiently to ongoing customer schedule requirements. Typical automotive end customers that utilise REFCO's products include Jaguar, Land Rover, BMW, Ford and Nissan
REFCO’s growing manufacturing factory is in close proximity to Gulf Extrusions,
(also an Al Ghurair Group company), who are a key supplier of extruded profiles into REFCO.
They also process automotive grade anodising and offer powder coating. Gulf Extrusions are located near Dubai Aluminium
(DUBAL) of Emirates Global Aluminium (EGA) Group; the 5th largest aluminium smelter in the world. The supply route from raw aluminium alloy to finished product is therefore geographically efficient, within a 25km zone.
The strategic acquisition by Al Ghurair Group was to expand its core aluminium business by inheriting the expertise and extra capabilities to establish a successful “value added” automotive class manufacturing site in the UAE;
processing good quality extruded aluminium alloy profiles, in volume, for end product assembly by automotive and other sector businesses.
Creating value within the downstream aluminium sector is key to the on-going growth within the UAE region, it allows for value addition to the abundant commodity proudly sourced and produced within the UAE.
REFCO's business model is to provide pressed, machined, formed (bent) and anodised or powder coated finished parts to the global automotive sector (and other sectors), supplying on time in full, through an infrastructure of local distribution points into Eastern Europe, Germany, France, Italy, UK, Mexico and China.
REFCO provides expected European product quality at a competitive price, using all the commercial benefits the UAE has to offer. The company is fully accredited to IATF 16949 and was the first ISO/TS16949 Automotive standard supplier in the region.